Sign up for Earth Hour! - I VOTE EARTH: Madhu Jacob

   Earth Hour 2009 by WWF - Sign up for Earth Hour!

Friday, July 07, 2006

Interesting.....

Sitting lazily on the couch I was enjoying myself watching tv when I got a call. Picked it up and there was a sweet male voice on the other end.

Sweet Male Voice (SMV): Can I speak to Mr X?

Me : Well, he's not home. Can I take a message?

SMV : Is this Mrs X?

Me : Yes, what is this regarding?

SMV : Congratulations Madam. You have been selected by Oriental Travels for a $1000 holiday all expense paid package.

Me : Really, but how?

SMV : For the past 5 years we have had good profits and we decided to share this blessings with all of you. We selected 50 couples through referrals and you are one among them.

Me (Not very impressed) : Is that so. hmmmm

SMV (Quickly interrupting me) : We need to verify a few things madam, is your telephone number 666666?

Me: yes but...

SMV : Is ur husband's name Mr X Y Z?

Me : yes. Can you give me your number so I call back?

SMV : Sure mam. Our number is 11111111111

And then the call got disconnected at the other end. I was having a feeling there was something fishy....come on who gives u a $1000 all expenses paid trip just for good will. I wanted to check this Oriental Travels for myself, so I quicky googled for info. And thanks to dear old Google, I found out that this is the latest scam to hit Singapore. I even found a message of an ex-employee of the call centre, apologizing to all the couples he had conned.

Like they say there is no such thing as a free lunch. Earn your money well, spend it wise. Dont believe in free offers. Be safe.

11 Comments:

At 12:36 pm , Blogger starry said...

Gimmicks everywhere, I was also fooled into thinking I won something. it was just a scam. its true when they say nothing is free.And if it seems too good to be true then it is not.

 
At 8:41 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When anybody asks such snoopy questions, it is bound to be fishy. Nice of you to share the experience.

 
At 8:58 pm , Blogger che sara sara said...

i always ignore such calls....
i never entertain them

 
At 9:32 am , Blogger Ekta said...

oh wow!
That was a smart move!
I would have just ignored the call and not believed in the offer anyway!

 
At 1:21 pm , Blogger SamY said...

I would never be able to enjoy such an holiday. I'd rather spend money earn't from hard sweat. Thats the sweatest treat for such a salty experience.

as ekta put it ... I consider any such call as spam

 
At 3:04 pm , Blogger Keshi said...

omg yes these r scams...do, not get fooled by these thieves!

Keshi.

 
At 4:40 pm , Blogger Madhu said...

True guys, the best thing to do is ignore these calls. But we should also be aware of such scams. Also should be careful in where and when we give our personal details.

Many ppl here have fallen for this scam and lost money!

 
At 11:07 pm , Blogger Has to be me said...

Ya I got an email with ph nos etc saying u've won $1,000,000! No one's a fool to give away that kinda money. Just too many of these damn scams around. Crazy!

 
At 4:32 am , Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Smart you to check this out!! I am so very impressed at tht Nancy Drew you have..Recently my uncle won a car (Renault) via some thing in Kuwait and it was unbelievable!!!!

 
At 4:32 am , Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:36 am , Blogger Kuan Gung said...

Hee...Hee...sounds like I heard this before...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home