Sign up for Earth Hour! - I VOTE EARTH: Madhu Jacob

   Earth Hour 2009 by WWF - Sign up for Earth Hour!

Monday, August 28, 2006

Weekend Workout Part 1

Nah, its not that I finally made it out of the couch and into the gym. But yes I did have a good workout by walking through the winding paths of the Jurong Bird Park here. Went there with friends and had a great time. Its an ideal place to spend the day off - quiet and serene, well, except for the constant chatter of the parakeets in the distance.


The park is quiet big and has an impressive collection of birds and its well planned out. My first visit was some 4-5 months back, and all I did then was click snaps, forgetting to enjoy nature. This time I knew what was coming so I took it nice and slow. There is a monorail that takes ppl around but we preferred to walk, I find it more personal this way.


Bonding with nature is a real special thing, it brings out the kid in all of us. At the bird show there was a parrot that was singing in 3 languages, most of us were watching it in awe. It was amazing to see those intelligent birds and to be trained so well, that's too good. The trainers really deserve a lot of praise, I guess u need lots of patience and dedication to get these birds to do perform. If you have a pet, you will definitely agree that training is no easy thing.

One important thing for me in this trip was that I held a wild bird in my hand - a Malay Eagle Owl.[In the snap above] Ok I had to pay for it but it was an experience I really wanted to try out and am happy I did it. Its scary and at the same time I was amazed by the bird. This was at the second bird show, the show for birds of prey and gosh, it was a exciting one. The huge eagles and vultures flew just inches above our heads in trained precision. The show was a good one, lot of information about the birds and their natural abilities.


I particularly enjoyed the lory loft where the lorries (of the parrot family i guess) interact with the visitors in the walk-in aviary. Its a nice place with feeding towers and connecting suspension bridges. The birds themselves are so bright coloured and in so many sizes. Some ppl there even had the luck of having the birds jump up to their heads and shoulders during the feeding. We tried to trick some birds into jumping on to us but no, these birds know the difference between feed and water. One bird had taken a fancy for coke so one of the visitors was enjoying feeding it with a straw.

Will continue in the next post as blogger is not allowing me to add more photos............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home