Sign up for Earth Hour! - I VOTE EARTH: Madhu Jacob

   Earth Hour 2009 by WWF - Sign up for Earth Hour!

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Burnt memory

Forgetfulness has always be a part of me. I sometimes feel like a 70 year old trapped in a not-yet-30 body. But something that happened 2 days back, just jolted me to the seriousness of this habit.

Being the lazy bum I am, I generally look forward not to making dinner. And so that day, I went out with hubby to get dinner, blissfully forgetting that I had put a saucepan with soup on the stove.

When we came back some 20 mins later, smoke and burning smell engulfed us as we entered. Only then it struck me something was wrong, but I thought I had put something in the microwave, that being the latest addition to our kitchen and the appliance am least aquainted with. But as I rushed into the kitchen I saw bellows of smoke coming out of the saucepan. Quickly, I switched off the gas and looked inside, the contents were red hot and the sides were fully black.

It took quite some time for me understand, this could have been quiet bad, I have heard of huge fires being caused by such acts of forgetfulness. At that moment, I just thanked god nothing serious had happened. That day in the morning, I had accidently ripped off the Cltr key from the keyboard and was feeling foul about it, this incident just made the whole day a lot worse.

After that it took us almost and hour or two to get all the smoke and smell outside. I was also hoping the neighbours dont notice the smell, and luckily they didnt. It was a huge lesson learnt but I sure do hope I dont forget such important things in future.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 am , Blogger SamY said...

reminds me of my cousin in US who put something into the over with the foil and it smoked so much that all the alarms went off ... he he ... that too for a first time cook :) ... poor dude, was so embarassed.

** Forgetfulness has always be a part of me. I sometimes feel like a 70 year old trapped in a not-yet-30 body.

I do that too. But I realize that our generation lives so unaware of present, lost in thought and too busy. We live life in a hurry - quick food, quick fun, quick movies ... Amidst all this we loose track of whats happening around us.

If you have the patience, you should try meditation. I am usually more aware of things around me after I do (i.e. IF I do :D).

tc

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home